Phlebotomist/Linkage to Care Coordinator
Email Cover Letter and Resume to Loftin Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org
North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition (NCHRC) is a statewide grassroots organization dedicated to the implementation of harm reduction interventions, public health strategies, drug policy transformation, and justice reform in North Carolina and throughout the American South. NCHRC engages in grassroots advocacy, resource and policy development, coalition building, and direct services for law enforcement and people impacted by drug use, incarceration, sex work, overdose, gender, HIV and hepatitis.
Description of Duties:
- Conduct serum testing for HIV and HCV with participants at NCHRC’s harm reduction program sites and the Greensboro syringe exchange at least three days a week
- Conduct serum testing for HIV and HCV with clients at NCHRC’s partner site Alcohol and Drug Services, one day per week at the ADS Greensboro site and one day per week at the ADS Asheboro site
- Assist in developing procedures and modifying workflows to integrate HCV/HIV serum testing into standard procedures for all participants at NCHRC’s Greensboro exchange and all clients both ADS partner sites
- Provide individualized education to clients and participants on HCV/HIV and harm reduction
- Follow up with all seropositive clients to inform them of their status and take steps to connect them with care and needs around their care
- Link all seropositive clients to the exchange's support group leader for harm reduction and supportive services
- Guide uninsured clients and participants through the processing of enrolling in private insurance through the Affordable Care Act or Medicaid
- Coordinate with local primary care offices and the local FQHC, Triad Adult and Pediatric Medicine, to ensure best possible care options for all seropositive clients
- Develop relationships with local healthcare providers and provide training and technical support to them on HCV, harm reduction, and cultural sensitivity when working with patients who are current or former injection drug users
- Track all data meticulously and punctually report all testing and linkage-to-care events and contacts to supervisor
- Participate in monthly training calls or in person training sessions on best practices in syringe exchange and harm reduction
- Attend occasional in-house workshops and training seminars for NCHRC staff as well as external training as assigned
- Maintain strict confidentiality and treat all clients and participants non-judgmentally and with warmth and positive regard
Must be a licensed Phlebotomist with at least one year of experience. Must be comfortable with harm reduction framework. Knowledge about Hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS, injection drug use, syringe exchange, STIs, and substance use is required. Knowledge of current resources for HCV/HIV treatment in the Guilford/Randolph/Forsyth area highly preferred. Experience assisting clients with enrollment in health insurance, ACA or Medicaid a plus. Must be comfortable discussing social, sexual, drug-related, and other harm reduction issues and experiences in a non-judgmental manner with both individuals and groups. Must demonstrate strong communication skills and an ability to thrive while working autonomously. Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings. People who are HIV/hepatitis positive, have a history of drug use, sex work, or incarceration are strongly encouraged to apply.
NCHRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, the LGBTQI community, and individuals who have personal experience with drug use, sex work, HIV, HCV, and incarceration are strongly encouraged to apply.