Open Positions (East to West):
- Raleigh or Wilmington, NC: Executive Director Accepting applications
- Western NC-Haywood County: Outreach Worker (32 Hours a Week) Accepting applications
- Send Resume and Cover Letter (1/2 page max) to Diannee Carden Glenn, Board President at: Executive.Director@nchrc.org
NCHRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, the LGBTQI community, and individuals who have personal experience with drug use, sex work, HIV, HCV, and incarceration are strongly encouraged to apply.
Post-Overdose Peer Support Outreach Specialist
Appalachian Harm Reduction Services Coordinator
Appalachian Harm Reduction Services Coordinator, LEAD Case Manager, Law Enforcement/EMS and Haywood County Health & Human Services Agency
This position is a full-time, temporary position funded by a grant beginning December 1 through August 31, 2019. There may be a possibility for extension.
The Post-Overdose Peer Support Outreach Specialist (Outreach Specialist) will collaborate with law enforcement, medical, and/or EMS professionals to gain access to information concerning individuals who have just experienced a non-fatal drug overdose. After acquiring this information, the Outreach Specialist will contact the individual who has recently experienced a non-fatal overdose to schedule a time and date to assess his or her interest/need of treatment, community resources/services, and housing services; provide access to Naloxone; and provide overdose prevention education/STI prevention material (primarily HIV & HCV prevention material). Once an assessment of the individual’s needs has been made, if the individual is interested in treatment and/or case management services, the Outreach Specialist will refer the individual to NCHRC Haywood County LEAD Case Manager who will assist in developing a case plan and referring the individual to the appropriate level of care.
A monthly project meeting including of the number of referrals, interactions, and distribution of Naloxone will be conducted by the Appalachian Harm Reduction Services Coordinator. The Outreach Specialist will collaborate with the NCHRC’s Harm Reduction Outreach Worker, LEAD Case Manager and the Appalachian Harm Reduction Services Coordinator to develop strategies to provide and improve upon services; and with the Health & Human Services Agency and/or other partners for grant reporting purposes.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Use Harm Reduction philosophy/approach when interacting with participants
- Provide Overdose/STI prevention material to individuals who have recently experienced a non-fatal overdose
- Assess individuals to determine acuity and/or the need for crisis stabilization
- Assess individuals to determine needs related housing, treatment, and level of prevention education
- Refer individuals who have recently experienced a non-fatal overdose into treatment or other services (i.e. housing, counseling)
- Collaborate with LEAD Case Manager to link individuals with the appropriate level of treatment
- Provide overdose training and distribute Naloxone to individuals and anyone within their social circle who is at risk of experiencing and/or witnessing an overdose
- Maintain records of outreach visits conducted and assistance provided for grant reporting purposes
- Attend monthly post-overdose team meetings
- High School Diploma or GED
- Be familiar with or open to learning about Harm Reduction philosophy
- Experience (i.e. Someone who is in recovery, not a requirement but preferable)
- Valid Driver License/transportation