2018 Southern Harm Reduction and Drug Policy Conference
Southern Harm Reduction and Drug Policy Conference 2018 @ Appalachia's Lake Junaluska (Western North Carolina)!
Pre-Conference: 4/23, Option 1- Harm Reduction Hiking with NCHRC, Option 2-Women's Writing Workshop, Option 3-Syringe Exchange Technical Assistance, Option 4-Faith Leaders, Option 5-Drug User/Sex Worker Organizing
Main Conference: 4/24-4/25
Venue: Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center, 91 N. Lakeshore Drive, Lake Junaluska, NC 28745
Event Venue Tel: 828.454.6743
- Registrations are not considered final until payment is received via check or paypal payment
Conference Contact: Mel Rausch, email@example.com
Group 1: Presenters, People Residing in Red States Impacted by the War on Drugs, Transgender People, SSDP Member, HIV/HBV/HCV+ People, People with Scholarships - $40
Group 2: Active Student-$50
Group 3: Person from a Red States/The American South-$100
Group 4: Person from a Northern State- $300
We encourage everyone to stay at the conference hotel:
- Lake Junaluska Conference & Retreat Center / 91 North Lakeshore Drive, Lake Junaluska, NC 28745, 1-800-222-4930
To get the special hotel conference rate of $110 per room, call the hotel and ask to be part of the "North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition" room block via 1-800-222-4930
- You can also reserve rooms via this link: https://bookings.ihotelier.com/bookings.jsp?groupID=2117649&hotelID=77715
- Please note that some of the hotel workers do not know our abbreviation (NCHRC), so please use the full agency name when booking.
- If you have any troubles booking at the hotel, please notify NCHRC's Mel Rausch via firstname.lastname@example.org
- The hotel does charge a $5 fee for people not staying at the hotel to give people a heads up.
- Tessie Castillo, North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition
- Robert Childs, North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition
- Nabarun Dasgupta, Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- Jessie Garner, North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition
- Mark Kinzly, Co-founder, Texas Overdose Naloxone Initiative (TONI), Austin Harm Reduction Coalition, TX
- Erica Poellot, National Harm Reduction Coalition
- Daniel Raymond, National Harm Reduction Coalition
- Deborah Peterson Small, Break the Chains: Communities of Color and the War on Drugs
- Louise Vincent, Urban Surviors Union
Food at the Conference
- You conference admission fee covers your lunch
- NCHRC will not be covering breakfast or dinner, but will be serving coffee in the AM. There are many nearby affordable eating venues or options at the hotel for breakfast and dinner. The hotel's breakfast costs around $10 and Dinner costs around $16.
- There is no smoking in the rooms, but there are locations outside of the hotel where harm reduction guests can smoke.
- People will be charged $300 if they smoke in their room, NCHRC will not be responsible for this fee if people choose to smoke in their room.
- The center is a weapons free campus
- Behavioral Health Group's Clyde Treatment Center can provide methadone and bupe.... please call ahead to them if you need to set this up.
- Clyde Treatment Center
- 414 Hospital Drive • Clyde, NC 28721
- P: 828 454 0560
- Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri 5:30 am - 4:30 pm Sat-Sun 7:00 am - 12:00 am
- Asheville (25) min away, also has multiple clinics you can go to. We recommend Western Treatment Center.
- Western Treatment Center
- 573 Merrimon Ave #1b, Asheville, NC 28804
- P: (828) 251-1478
- Naloxone will be available to anyone who asks, all NCHRC and Steady Collective employees and consultants will be carrying it if you need any.
Syringe Exchange.... There are multiple syringe exchanges in the area
- Eileen Corcoran
- More details soon
- The Steady Collective
- Mobile; peer-based
- Hillary Brown, Michel Guicheney
- (800) 898-5801
- 610 Haywood Rd. Asheville (every Tuesday, 1:30 - 4pm)
- 297 Haywood St. Asheville, NC (every Wednesday, 10am - 3pm)
- Western North Carolina AIDS Project
- Fixed; mobile
- Michael Harney
- (828) 252-7489 ext. 311
- 554 Fairview Rd.
- Asheville, NC 28803
- Western North Carolina AIDS Project & Full Circle Recovery Center
- Stephanie Almeida
- (828) 475-1920
- Call or text at (617) 828-9184
- 3261 Georgia Road
- Franklin, NC 28734