The North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition (NCHRC) advocates for people whose lived experience is shaped by drug use, sex work, poverty, incarceration, historical marginalization because of their race and/or gender identity and chronic health conditions like HIV/AIDS and hepatitis.
Position Location: Robeson County
The Community Engagement/Linkage Specialist partners with mentors, community stakeholders and partners to link individuals who use drugs in Robeson County to a variety of health and human services. These services include culturally sensitive healthcare, medication assisted treatment (MAT), secure housing, recovery support, arrest diversion programs, food, and agencies ensuring interpersonal safety. The Community Engagement/Linkage Specialist reports to the Linkage to Care Program Manager.
The position both provides low-threshold harm reduction services offered by NCHRC through its Syringe Services Programs (SSP) and bridges the gap between other community-based resources by meeting individuals where they are, recognizing barriers, implementing best practices that improve access to services for people who use drugs (PWUD), and building effective partnerships.
The primary duties encompass:
- Recognizes and builds partnerships with healthcare, MAT and social service providers on behalf of the organization to better serve participants in Robeson County.
- Registers participants in the Syringe Service Program of NCHRC in Lumberton/Robeson County.
- Carries out regular SSP outreach and delivers mobile SSP services to participants in Lumberton/Robeson counties.
- Collaborates with SSP participants to pinpoint health risks, healthcare needs and personal health and well-being objectives. Provide aid and support to participants in need of care and coordinate with healthcare, MAT and social service providers to guarantee prompt access to services.
- Assists participants in arranging and maintaining appointments for healthcare, MAT and social service.
- Recognizes and executes strategies for overdose prevention, prevention of Hepatitis C virus, treatment and aftercare, prevention of HIV transmission and prevention; and management of chronic conditions. If requested, conducts educational sessions on self-management and facilitates groups for participants.
- Maintains strict confidentiality and treats all participants non-judgmentally and with warmth and positive regard.
Skills & abilities required:
- Experience working with people whose lived experience is shaped by drug use, sex work, poverty, incarceration, historical marginalization because of their race and/or gender identity and chronic health conditions like HIV/AIDS and hepatitis.
- Must be at ease with harm reduction framework, public speaking and group presentations. Knowledge about Sexually Transmitted Infections, and substance use is required. Must be at ease discussing social, sexual, drug-related, and other harm reduction issues and experiences in a professional and non-judgmental manner with both individuals and groups.
- Must have experience with coalition building, bringing together community partners, and/or community organizing.
- Computer proficiency, including proficiency with basic Microsoft Word and Google Drive functions; willingness to learn new applications.
- Proficient communication abilities, including effective listening and the capacity to write and speak clearly.
- Familiarity with acting as representative of an organization to establish cooperative relationships with clients and service providers, along with external stakeholders.
- Capability to manage sensitive information with prudence and honesty.
People with lived-experience and/or certification as a Certified Peer Support Specialist are encouraged to apply. Please note that this position is located in Robeson County, NC.
NCHRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, from the LGBTQI community, and individuals who have lived experience with drug use, sex work, HIV, HCV and incarceration are strongly encouraged to apply. If you are comfortable, please include information about your lived experience in the cover letter.
To express interest in this position, please send a one page resume and cover letter to email@example.com.